Friday, August 8, 2008

Dolly Parton?


Dolly Parton @ Greek Theatre, Berkeley, 8/5/08, originally uploaded by jkms.

Photo, stolen from Flickr, is from a concert earlier this week.

Last night, I paid back Scott for dragging him to the Elton John concert nearly two years ago. I could not have imagined ever going to a Dolly Parton concert. I was a little surprised he wanted to go since I've never heard him play her music, but apparently he has fond childhood memories of A Smoky Mountain Christmas.

I was a little concerned when I saw a few too many (more than zero) cowboy hats in the arena, but flaming gay men and drag queens seemed to out-number the cow hats. There were also a few young girls who apparently knew Dolly from "Hannah Montana".

Dolly was great. She sang and played a wide variety of music including a brave cover of Fine Young Cannibals' "She Drives Me Crazy". I was surprised how much of the concert was her folksy banter with her devoted fans and reminiscing about her Smoky Mountain upbringing. So the concert was interesting and Dolly is very charming.

No comments: