Sunday, October 10, 2010

Jardin botanique de Montréal

We returned from our one-week visit with Tammam in Montreal and Quebec last night. The week seems like a blur. We are still sorting through our pictures and recalling our great trip.

Last Sunday was our first full day in Montreal. It was Scott's first time in Montreal and my second. Although I wanted to revisit some of the places I saw in 2000, I also wanted to see some new places like the Olympic Stadium area. So, I chose Jardin botanique de Montréal (a.k.a. Montreal Botanical Garden) as our first outing.


IMG_0029, originally uploaded by sweber4507.

IMG_9610, originally uploaded by sweber4507.

Like other former Olympic and world fair sites, I wrongly assumed the botanical garden was merely salvaged land re-purposed by the city after the 1976 Summer Olympics. However, I was surprised to learn that the botanical garden was started in 1931.

The gardens were beautiful. Even though Tammam and I are not gardening, we enjoyed the different gardens and arrangements. One hundred year-old bonsai plants in the Japanese garden were impressive, but the most eye-catching garden was the lantern display in the Chinese garden -- apparently an annual tradition.

For better or worse, it is nearly impossible to visit or photograph the Jardin botanique de Montréal without the alien Olympic Stadium tower.

1 comment:

Tony Destroni said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.