Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Stardust: C

StardustPoster

[PLOT SPOILER BELOW!!!]

Scott, ma and I saw a movie on Labor Day. Scott chose the movie, so I didn't really know what we were seeing. The last time I went to a movie knowing only the title it turned out to be cartoon, so wondered what I had gotten myself into. Scott said it was a fairytale, so I assumed it was the fantasy movie with Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig, but I knew I was wrong when we saw the preview for The Golden Compass before the movie.

I realized it was Stardust (IMDB.com). The premise of the movie is what happens when a villager's one night stand in a fairytale land ends up knocking-up a princess that is imprisoned by witch. The princess sends the baby to the villager who raises the child into a young man. The movie follows the young man's quest to find his mother and a fallen star in human form.

I liked how the movie didn't take itself too seriously and worked-in some cute comedy. Ricky Gervais was great, but his scenes were too short. It was also well-paced and I never felt bored. Michelle Pfeiffer was also great in the over-the-top role as an old, beauty-obsessed witch.

The one glaring scene was Robert De Niro's performance as a closeted gay drag queen pirate. I don't see how he was cast in such a badly stereotypical role. I don't mean to sound like an oversensitive gay image critic, but his limp-wristed gay man shtick was embarrassing and almost offensive.

No comments: