Friday, October 24, 2008

OR mother embarrasses son over hilarious library book


The Book of Bunny Suicides, originally uploaded by claire_da.


The Book of Bunny Suicides, originally uploaded by claire_da.

Unbelieveable. A humorless 33-year-old (my age!?!) Oregon mother, Taffey Anderson, decided to publically embarrass her 13-year-old son by threatening to burn his school library book. After creating a First Amendment backlash with numerous offers to replace the book, Anderson backtracked and now says she will return the book and file a formal complaint like a mature, responsible adult.

The book is one of my favorites, Andy Riley's The Book of Bunny Suicides. I can't imagine anyone thinking this book is inappropriate for middle school age kids -- unless they believe their teenager is somehow deficient in irony.

As with any ridiculous censorship attempt, the controversy has only publicized the book which I had no idea had sequels, merchandise, and even a calendar. (Subtle Hint: These sure would make great gifts from a certain person who always asks what I want for Christmas).

(Hat Tip: BlueOregon.com)

3 comments:

LeLo said...

If that book gets banned, so should the name Taffey.

Norm! said...

LOL

CrackerLilo said...

Well, there is a bright side here, because I didn't know there was a calendar, either! I'm pretty sure the same person wrote/illustrated a book of "Great Lies for Small Children." Wouldn't it be funny if *tons* of those calendars and books sold on account of this?

If that were my mother, I'd run away and change my name legally.