Sunday, July 8, 2007

Sicko: grade B

"Sicko" movie poster

Scott and I saw Michael Moore's Sicko (IMDB.com) this afternoon. I have to admit that I'm a Michael Moore fan. Although I've never seen Roger & Me, I remember his TV show TV Nation and his movies The Big One, Bowling for Columbine, and, of course, Fahrenheit 9/11. The Big One was particularly rememberable memorable to me because I saw it at a Michael Moore lecture in which he supposedly gave us an unauthorized pre-screening of the movie which ends in a climatic interview at Oregon's Nike.

Much of Sicko is about confirming what we already know, the US health care system is a complete failure and our nation's embarrassment. He then shows us the Canadian, UK, French, and Cuban universal health care systems.

Like his other movies, Moore is very heavy-handed, but also entertaining. Of course, the documentary is very one-sided. The universal health care systems are described as utopian -- which they probably are. However no mention is made about whether these countries are struggling to pay for these systems. Also, Moore makes no mention of Cuba's repressive government. But these are relatively minor criticisms.

Overall, a good movie that makes excellent observations about our country. Certainly, I recommend it. However, as an informative documentary, I'm can't say I know much more from this movie.

No comments: