Monday, May 19, 2008

Paranoid Park: B


paranoid park, originally uploaded by wweek.media.


Paranoid Park trailer
by ifcfilms

Sheena invited me to see Gus Van Sant's Paranoid Park with one of her Jackies on Saturday. We saw a Saturday afternoon matinee at the old Laurelhurst Theater. We were not the only people with plans to escape the day's heat. The theater was surprisingly packed.

It was fun to see Portland featured in a movie -- although any urban area could have served as the setting. Van Sant did capture the feeling of Downtown Portland. I think many Portlander's are proud of the Burnside Skatepark's lore and yet I suspect most people (including myself) are too uncomfortable (and maybe even scared) to visit -- just like the main character in the movie.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie, but it's definitely a art house movie with mostly long scenes scenes with close-ups on faces. It did capture the city's gray mood and some of the melancholy of high school life.

No comments: